Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has released the Blu-ray trailer for Venom, and they’re having a little fun with the impossibly successful Marvel Comics adaptation. While the Ruben Fleischer-directed film was a mostly serious take on the antihero, the movie did show shades of self-awareness here and there, especially when it came to Tom Hardy’s lead performance as both Eddie Brock and the symbiote Venom. Hardy seemed to know he was in a very silly movie, and while he took the material seriously, when you’re talking to a symbiote version of yourself, you can either try to play it cool or really swing for the fences. Hardy swung for the fences, and it made all the difference.
So instead of teasing the action or hardcore visuals, this Venom Blu-ray trailer focuses solely on the loving relationship between Eddie and Venom, in the style of a romantic comedy. It’s cute and silly and I love that Sony has a sense of humor about this whole thing. Since the film grossed over $800 million worldwide we’re definitely getting a sequel, and I do hope that follow-up leans more into this kind of self-awareness. Not Deadpool level, which would be overkill, but a bit less Limp Bizkit and a little more Weird Al wouldn’t hurt.
Check out the Venom Blu-ray trailer below. The film hits Digital HD on December 11th and Blu-ray on December 18th.
- Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!
- Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.
- Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.
- San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.
- From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.
- The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.
- Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.
- Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.
- Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.
- 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.
- “Venom” by Eminem – Music Video
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…
4K Ultra HD™ Includes:
Feature film presented with Dolby Vision high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound
Also includes the film and special features on the included high-def Blu-ray